How To Find Your Way in Minced Forest

Write Preface in the search space below right to get to the Preface.To go to the table of contents, write table of contents in the search space below right. To read a chapter, write the number of the chapter in the search space. To read the tales in Fay Spanish, go to cuentosdelbosquetriturado.blogspot.com. Thank you.

Wednesday 29 December 2021

163. Refuge Among Chestnuts


163. Refuge Among Chestnuts 

Alpin was tactful enough not to smirk and say he’d known I would be back.

“Okay, let’s do this. Let’s get it over with as fast as we can.”

That’s what I said to Apple Alpin. If we were going to have dealings with dubious humans, at least it had better not last long.

“Ask her what she wants,” I said.

“Needs, Arley. Most people don’t want help. They ask for it because they need it. Many are ungrateful when they get it because they are resentful. They don’t like to need help. Hence the saying, the wellborn show gratitude.”

“It’s said there is no human that doesn’t need or want something.”

“There are honorable exceptions. But this won’t be the case. Whatever. Let’s get this done.”

 “It’s you that has to go ask her.”

“Why? Can’t you see everything with that eye of yours? You tell me what’s going on.”

“I see too much. You will be more objective.”

I felt he was saying that because he needed to hide something from me. Something that would make me not want to help Jane.

“I’ll go, but you are coming with me. I’m not doing this without your help.”

“Moral support, Arley. That’s all I can offer.”

“Maybe. But you and your all-seeing eye are coming with me and watching out for me while I go about this sad business.”

I was afraid Alpin’s mum would object when we told her Alpin was in my pocket next to a Rolls Royce  and we were going out for an adventure. I thought she might want him kept safe among the wax fruit and well under the urn. But she turned out to be delighted.

“Like old times!” she exclaimed. “Oh, I’m so happy to see you both active again!”

It was obvious she had no idea what we were about to do. In my mind, I could already hear her screaming because I hadn’t been able to keep Alpin safe and dreadful things had happened to him again, like he had been eaten by a human and was gone for good or worse.

“We always land on our feet, Arley,”said Alpin, spying my fears with his little eye.

“You haven’t any feet,” I said.

“Yours will be mine too.”

“How did we get to Bananawood the last time?”

“I just wandered  around. You asked one of the fauns for directions. But I’ll ask my eye.”

We followed the path Alpin’s eye drew for us. As we were walking along, he suddenly said, “What did thebee that saved your life want from you, Arley?”

“What bee?”

“I don’t rightly know. Only that this…creature… is terribly slippery. I had only perceived him once before. The man who told you to go see the car lady.”

“You can see him?”

“No. But I know he was there. I don’t know what he looks like. I don’t even know if he is a man or a bee.I’ve only seen him – the man - from behind, once, and for half a second. I’m not even sure I have seen him.  But I suspect he is the bee who saved your life when Rosina gave you the experimental apple and you swelled up like a globefish.”

“He saved my life? How? I don’t remember any of that.”

“I don’t think anyone noticed but me. I was screaming for help and you were swelling and choking and some people were rushing towards us, and this unusually tiny, discreet little bee appeared out of nowhere and stung you fiercely on the neck. I remember thinking that would kill you, because it was all you needed to die, to be poisoned by a bee on top of it all. But no. You began to get well.”

“I did?”

“You had so many scratches and bug bites from our trip to the depths of the forest that the bee’s bite was just one more. So it went unnoticed. Apparently. Because I had detected it, but I didn’t say a word. I noticed because the bee disappeared into thin air without dying like it should have after stinging you. The funny thing was it didn’t lose it’s sting. It was whole when it vanished, so I knew there was something weird going on. I thought of telling Rosina she should study the effects of bee stings as an antidote to whatever was wrong with her apple. But I said nothing about the bee because I wanted the hooded geniuses to get blamed for what had happened to you. After all, they were at the root of your suffering. And the bee’s disappearing whole made me think I had better not say a word. That was no plain bee, Arley. Then I saw it again today, when you were digging in the sand. The same darned bee!  I know it was! And then you vanished. And later, when you popped back into sight again, the bee showed up too and landed on a stick and a piece of bark appeared  attached to it and I guessed it was the same weird bee. All three times.”

“But I was invisible. You can see me when I am invisible?”

“Not very well. Hazily and intermittently. And tainted a grayish green. But for a second there I thought I saw a man tugging at your sleeve. Only that was before you vanished totally and then returned and found the note. Who was that, Arley? What’s this about?”

 “I wish I knew. I’m even more confused now that you’ve told me all this.”

Before either of us could say more, we heard a noise.

Chist!

I heard someone making a hushed noise to attract us. I looked at where the sound came from and saw Jane hiding among the magic chestnuts. Yes we had reached the chestnut grove. Jane was standing among the chestnut trees and there were children peeping from behind them, very much like little elves but without pointed hats. Or pointed shoes. Or just shoes.

 Jane was very down at the mouth. But the minute she saw us, anger wrinkled her brow and flashed in her eyes. Fortunately, we were not its object.

“It’s that idiot Pepperpot all over again.”

“What’s he up to now?”

“He’s got a girlfriend.”

Was Jane jealous or what? This was something I hadn’t thought might be happening. But it could be. She had so many children she was likely to be amorous. I wondered if any of them were Pepperpot’s. Even at the risk of being impertinent, I decided to ask outright.

Of course not! Who would want that rat-brained fool’s children? You go see for yourselves. I’m too angry to speak about this. Go! Go!

Alpin and I continued on our way, taking care to be very invisible from that moment on. It was a very short distance to Bananawood from the chestnut grove. You could see it from where Jane was at. But as I turned invisible, I reflected that since she was within a magic part of Minced Forest, she and her children could not be seen even if they hadn’t been slinking and skulking behind the chestnut trees.

“She shouldn’t be here,” I whispered to Alpin.

“She’s in hiding.”

“She should only enter to gather chestnuts. That’s all we gave her permission to do. And the kids can’t enter at all. How did they get in here?”

“She must have carried them in, one by one,” guessed Alpin.

“Now that they know this place exists they can tell anyone.”

“But we could be lucky and no one might believe them.”

“That might be the best we can hope for. This is going to be one big mess,” I sighed.

Bananawood looked exactly the same as it had when we had last been there. The bananas were still blue with cold and I asumed, rightly as it turned out, that they were still being frozen and sold to foreigners. When we got to the palace that had belonged to the Greed King and that the Sheriff of Bananawood had given to Petey, it looked shinier than I remembered it. And there was something that definitely blinded one in front of it. We moved towards the blinding light and when I was closerto it I saw it was a solid gold statue of a frightfully thin hag basking in the sun. An inscription below read, “To Penia, my goddess. The love of the heart of Petey Pepperpot is only for you.”


“His girlfriend is a statue of the goddess of Poverty?”  

This was not unheard of. There was Pygmalion, the sculptor who had carved himself a statue of a beautiful woman out of marble and had asked the goddess of love to give it life.

“That’s not her. He’s given life to Poverty, oh, yes he has. But that’s not his girlfriend. What it says there is only nonsense he speaks. The truth is worse than that.”

“Look here, Alpin, I know you aren’t telling me what you know because you wanted me to come here at any cost and I might not have if I’d had more information. But I think you should tell me what this is about before I ask Petey for an audience.”

“Don’t  ask! He doesn’t like being asked. Just pounce on him and kill him,” said Jane, who turned out to have been creeping behind us.

“You can see us, Jane?”

She was not supposed to be able to see us when we had made ourselves utterly invisible.

“All those chestnuts she ate must have made this possible,” reasoned Alpin.

What? This means Petey will be able to see us too?”

“I never fed that madman chestnuts,” hissed Jane. The hatred in her voice was so terrible it hurt one’s ears. “Only the sheriff,” she added, in a less envenomed voice. “Petey would have confiscated the chestnuts. The sheriff was respectful and never asked where I got them. Only told me they were delicious.”

“A wise man,” nodded Alpin. “I suppose I frightened him enough not to want the least trouble. Get back in the forest, Jane. You don’t know how to make yourself invisible.”

“Where is the Sheriff of Bananawood?” I asked before she could leave. The kind of action she suggested I perform was more in his line than in mine.

“We don’t know. He disappeared one day. Pepperpot said the sheriff didn’t need a cook because he wasn’t there to be fed and kicked me out of the sheriff’s kitchen. Then he confiscated the sheriff’s house. No sheriff, no leftovers for my children.”

“I notice the bananas are still blue. That must mean they are still being sold to foreigners instead of used for feeding your people.”

I remembered having heard Pepperpot say that he loved poor people and was going to make everyone poor so he could love everybody, because he had such a big heart. Back then, I hadn’t paid much attention to his words. To me, it was just gibberish he was speaking. But it seemed he had made his threat good. Pepperpot had managed to sink his people into even greater misery than the Greed King had.  

“I can’t use the chestnuts openly because I’m scared of him and his girlfriend discovering I do. Once I cook them, she can see what I’ve cooked. And she’ll want to know where I got them. And she’ll tell Petey. And he’ll confiscate them even if he can’t see them. You don’t know what he’s capable of confiscating.”

“Jane’s done considerably well hiding the chestnuts, considering she’s human,” said Alpin.

“Is there any clue as to where the Sheriff might have gone?”

My one idea was to get the Sheriff to feel responsible for this mess and fix it. Any way he could.

“No. No clue,” sighed Jane.

“Alpin?” I asked.

“The Sheriff can’t be counted on, Arley.”

“But you can see where he is at?”

“Yes, and so will you once we get into the palace. Come,” he said, “I’ll show you.”

“Get back in the woods, Jane,” I said. “And don’t let any of those children wander out. It could be dangerous.”

It was sure to get ugly, I thought. Alpin no longer had the powers he had frightened the Sheriff with. All he could do was see what was happening. Spectacularly, of course, but all-seeing as he was, that was all he was. And I… Need I say that never in my life had I pounced on anyone? Or anything similar. Well, maybe playing football with my brothers. But it was ages since I had. I had to be out of practice. I looked at Jane, feeling bad because I felt I would fail her. I didn’t think I could do what she had asked me to do. And as I gazed sadly on her and her children I realized that these couldn’t be the kids she’d had with her when last I had  seen her. Time had gone by.These were too young to be the same kids.

 “Where are your older children, Jane?”

Tears of rage sprang from Jane’s eyes. She couldn’t speak. She could only make desperate faces and desperate gestures with her hands.

“Go back inside the wood, Jane. I’ll show Arley,” urged the Little Apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My blogs are Michael Toora's Blog (dedicated to my pupils and anyone who wants to learn English and some Spanish), The Rosy Tree Blog (dedicated to RosE), Tales of a Minced Forest (dedicated to fairies and parafairies), Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (same as the former but in Fay Spanish), The Birthdaymython/El Cumplemitón (for the enjoyment of my great nieces and great nephews and of anyone who has a birthday) and Booknosey/Fisgalibros (for and with my once pupils).