How To Find Your Way in Minced Forest

Write Preface in the search space below right to get to the Preface.To go to the table of contents, write table of contents in the search space below right. To read a chapter, write the number of the chapter in the search space. To read the tales in Fay Spanish, go to cuentosdelbosquetriturado.blogspot.com. Thank you.

Friday 26 July 2024

289 - Part the First



289. Part the First of the Eleventh Moonly Letter, to be written by Heather to her brother Arley during the utterly black moon which is about  preparing a  katabasis, which is an old Greek way of saying a descent, in this case into Hades.

Dear Arley,

I hope this letter finds you well, and disposed to read a rather long one. As you know, the Peek Creek in my garden has made it possible for me to be forever sharing Beau's life. And that is what I have been doing, for he and Uncle Richearth have been making me rather nervous.

“Give me a few minutes to study how we should make our descent into hell,” Beaurenard said to Uncle Richie. “When one descends to dangerous places one must descend prepared for whatever might happen.”

Beau had surrounded himself with books on classical mythology, among them the little green book decorated with golden apples, plump and winged with wings of blue. I'm sure you remember that lovely book!

“No! No need!” responded Uncle Richearth. “Hell is a come-as-you-are experience. Those who go there go just as they were caught by death, because they have no choice. If not, who would go there? Or anywhere, looking awful? Can’t you see that once you are there anything can happen?”

“No, I don’t think so,” argued Beau. “If anything could happen there, all those people who don’t want to be there could flee from that site. And none of them break out of there, so not just anything can happen. Well, I read here that some people do make it out of there. Ascending with crowns of green and white poplar leaves on their heads. But that is a regulated exodus, planned and controlled like almost everything that happens in Hades. They seem to be quite organized. Perhaps we won’t have time to make pondered decisions, but at least we can make informed ones.”

Beau was consulting those books on classic mythology very attentively. He didn’t want to risk making mistakes in a place like Hades. He felt he would have to be very diplomatic, even if he disliked the place, and respect the customs and rules and uses of those people as much as they might repulse him.

“The folks with the poplar in their hair are revenants, or reborns, whatever. You have to die first to be one of those, and we can’t do that. Are you thinking of consulting the Eleusinians? They are the ones that know how to triumph down there. But those guys don’t share their secrets. They have been as tight as clams about them for thousands of years. They won’t open up for you. They didn’t even for me, and I am Demeter’s very own godson, who used to crash their mysterious bashes to have good fun there. I never did join the sect though. It would have killed my daddy if I had. I vex and annoy him now and again, but I never go too far. It wouldn’t be considerate of me, would it?”

“You are Demeter’s godson?”

 “That’s why one of my names is Demetrius. No, my little friend, no. There is no way to be prepared for hell. Anything can happen there.”

“But there are things we know, for example, one mustn’t eat anything there.”

From there. But who is to stop us from lugging a picnic hamper? With champagne and caviar and fairy bread of the kind that is always freshly toasted. You know those ridiculous people who travel to New York with a huge salami sausage and potato omelettes in their suitcases in case they hate the food in the Big Apple?  Well, actually, that is the way one should go to hell. Have you read in those books that this can’t be done? No, you haven’t. Because it can. I’m glad you brought food up because the sirens invited us to breakfast, a grand seafood fest it was too, but by noon we might get peckish. So we had better provide ourselves with victuals.”

“On a picnic to hell. Tea among the asphodels. What ideas you have, Dimmy! No, I haven’t read or heard anywhere that it is forbidden to take food there, but I suspect it is, because I know one has to board the barge stark naked, leaving everything behind. Me, I am going to fly over the river. What is clear we have to take with us is a map. We desperately need to identify Mnemosyne’s lake and be able to tell it from the other bodies of water there. If we have to drink something, it had better be from this lake. It is the only potable water available and the only thing it  might make us is omniscient. You see, there is a river of tears and probably snot and another river of spit and curses.”

“And a third of fiery water. And I don’t mean whiskey,” nodded our uncle.

“Those waters are dangerous even for the dead. We could not only die of disgust, we could catch something fay healers have never heard of. Nor do we want to lose our memories because of the waters of Lethe. We would wander all over that place forever, asking ourselves what the hell we are doing there.”

“Even if you couldn’t find the exit, surely you would find something to do rather than roam about aimlessly. You are always up to something. I would kill time flirting with the ladies. You know, there are some very interesting women down there. Why, I even once toyed with Helen of Troy, but her husband spirited her off to the Isles of the Blessed before she could elope with me and trigger another war. She was exactly as gorgeous as they say. And so friendly!”

“I don’t want to toy with anyone. I am like Odysseus. I’m very happy with the girl I have back home,” said Beau.

“Why, so am I!” our uncle assured Beau. “Delighted! But I wouldn’t be home, would I? And if I had to spend time roving memoryless in hell, I would have to do something to make this bearable. Look, there are these ladies who are in charge of the lighting. Torchbearing nymphs. Lampades they are called. And they are quite sociable. If they like you, they might lead you to Elysium. Over there, one is almost as happy as we are back home. And what do you know? Maybe I would find Helen.”

“Friendly they might seem to you,” said Beau, “who never know who you are really dealing with. According to these books what there is down there is vampires.”

“Not the lampades, no! I don’t know why people always associate available women with bloodsuckers! The vampires down there are the lamias. Affairs with lamias always turn out sadly, that I will admit. But if you like redheads, there are the empusai. Their hair is always in flames. But it is trick fire that doesn’t burn one. Just for show it is. They are really evil spirits, but ridiculously silly ones. They appear before men looking like lovely hetairai. What makes them special is that one of their legs is like a goat’s, while the other is made of metal. They are very sensitive about this, so don’t mention it to them, or they will break into boisterous tears. I have never offended them, but I have seen it happen. Sorry spectacle, that. Ah, and there are also mormos, bogey women who frighten bad little boys, if that is your thing.”

 “NO!” hollered Beau. “I see you do know the place. You’ve been there before. You've made that clear and I shall have to trust you to guide me. But no gallant adventures, no!”

“Oh, there was a time when I would flit  in and out of there like the proverbial fellow who shares your last name. At first they used to confuse me with Orpheus. `What?´ they would say, `Here again to visit Eurydice?´ I’ve never flirted with Eurydice. I respect Orpheus. Well, rather it is Eurydice who respects her husband, but, one way or another, Orpheus is respected.”

“You are making me more nervous than I already am with all this chatter,” said Beau. “What matters is how to get out of there.”

“Look, one thing there is none of down there is music. In any hell, music is verbotten. Even in mortal hells, that is how it is. You see a country that has forbidden music? Well that country is a hell on earth. You can bet your neck on that. Don’t you know music civilizes? And they don’t want any of that in hells. Only yells and lamentations. And in Hades there is nothing to drown these out with.  So when I want to leave Hades, I start to sing. And they kick me out ipso facto.”

“That easy? Don’t musicians go to hell?”

“Some do. But they stop being musicians as soon as they drink the waters of Lethe and forget their do-re-mis.”

“And no one has ever tried to force you to drink that blasted water?”

“No. What happens is that when I sing, the world stops. Everyone is fascinated. Many sob in silence, but moved, not from pain or sorrow. What I do is something similar to what filibusters do in parliaments. Whereas they speak and speak and no one can interrupt them till they go hoarse and faint, I sing and sing till I’m out of there and no one can silence me.”

“But surely you have to shut up at some point, and…”

“I sing my way to the exit, dancing and tripping and fluttering to the door. And I step out quite calmly, with one delicate pirouette,  because the gate opens for me when it hears my voice.”

“And no one else takes the opportunity to rush out?”

“There must be nobody deaf there, because no one does. I’m telling you, they remain like paralyzed.”

“Does that mean I will be able to step out too or will I become frozen like everyone else?”

“You are fay, Beau, not a stiff, nor a citizen of the underworld of any kind. You aren’t  ignorant of the power of music, like many a savage beast.You will fly out of there next to me. Besides, they eventually pacted with me to let me in and out of there whenever I please as long as I do it quietly. That is a deal we made. Nothing will hold you back in there while you are by my side, Beau!”

“I don’t know. I find it difficult to believe nothing bad will happen to me if I go to Hades.”

“Stop worrying already and trust me, will you? You’re with a man who always wins!”

“Okay. Let the katabasis begin,” said Beau. And he turned himself  into an enormous wolf.

“What the…hell? Beaurenard, is that you?” asked our astonished uncle, who couldn’t understand what had happened.

“Of course it is! As if I would go to a place like Hades lacking a disguise. I have a reputation to defend! Besides, there is a three-headed dog that is the doorman there, and not all dogs take kindly to me. I’m a fox fairy, and if that dog notices this, there could be trouble. He’s said to have mean fleas.”

“There is no way I am letting you come with me looking like Fenrir about to end the world! For heaven’s sake, it is me you are frightening!”

“Good. Because I haven’t even blinked yet.”

“Pretend to be Michael Jackson instead! We could sing a duet.”

“Jackson was very scandalous. Better Elvis. There are so many Elvises popping about that I might go unnoticed.”

“It won’t matter either way because nobody there will remember either bloke. All inmates deprived of  memory, you know.”

And that is how our Uncle Richearth and Beaurenard set off for Hades, where what they found had nothing to do with what they expected.

First, Uncle Richie took Beau to Epirus, on the northwestern side of Greece, and from there to the village of Mesopotamos, to the Necromanteion of Acheron. In the ghost of this temple and oracle of the dead there is a subterranean chamber of silence, and in it, a passage to the underworld. In this chamber, no sound can be heard that is made by those within, and our uncle had to lead Richie with gestures and by the arm, to a secret door to a tunnel through which they descended to a wetland covered with waterlilies.

“We are next to one bank of the river Acheron,” said Uncle Richearth as soon as he could speak, “a river that passes through dark gorges and goes underground in certain spots, like this one. And on the other bank is the Underworld. But I think that before we call the ferryman, we should have a taste of the lunch we bring with us. Look, there is a bench of stone among the waterlilies. Whitely it peeps, mutely beckoning us.”

“There is very little light here. I don’t know how these flowers can grow here.”

“We can see, even if dimly, because here is where the last light that penetrates the path to Hades stops advancing. Further, the lighting depends on torches.”

But that was the last of what our uncle knew about Hades, because as I have mentioned before, things had changed there.

Richie and Beau waded to the stone bench, of alabaster it seemed to be to me as I watched them, and they sat there and drank chamvá, which is what the bubbly Uncle Rich’s vineyards and winecellars produce is called, and which everyone finds superior to any cava or champagne in both the mortal and fay worlds. It went a bit to my head, but since it is top quality, it didn't fuddle me. They also munched on toast with fresh, melting butter and caviar of  the kind the fay sturgeons sell themselves, and on assorted gourmet sandwiches and tons of fruit that had been watered with the purest, clearest water.



“Let’s not leave any debris behind,” said Beau, and he made what there was of that disappear, save for a glass jar that had held faux tuna fish in Pedro Ximénez, because our uncle had been accosted by a tiny, emerald sea horse that had settled on one of his soaking wet shoes and would not be persuaded to move away. So Uncle Richie washed the jar and when it was clean, he put the seahorse in it, promising to take it to his aquarium in Apple Island. Since the jar was magical, the water in it never fell out, even if one failed to cover it with a lid. So Richie put that in the hamper, next to all the fruit and sandwiches that had been left over. And I don’t want to make a spoiler, but I know you will worry about the seahorse, so I will reassure you getting ahead and telling you that it was not left behind in Hades.

When they were done eating, Uncle Richie glanced at his platinum pocket watch and said, “I don’t know what is happening here. Where the devil is the ferryman? We’ve been here a while and there’s no trace of him. Or the ferry. And it is quite large. One can’t easily miss it.”

The clock struck two p.m. and suddenly a spotlight lit up and focused on a demon that looked disturbingly like Mr. Binky when he had dressed himself as an infernal civil servant for one of Michael’s Halloween parties. This was not the usual demon Hades was famous for though. He had the horns, but strangely, he also wore glasses and had a necktie hanging down his bare chest. The demon was sitting behind a large desk on  which there was a portable computer.

“Excuse me,” said Beau to the fellow with the computer. “Are you an agathodaemon or a kakodaimon? Or perhaps not one at all?”

“Do you have an appointment?” asked the demon.

“Bad,” whispered Beau to our uncle. “That is what he is. He needn’t say more.”

“Hey, you! Where is Charon?” Uncle Richearth asked the demon.

“Are you here to see him?”

“We expected to. He’s always hanging about somewhere here.”

“Workers have a right to a vacation.”

“He is a worker? But he loved to do this. Or that was what he was destined for. He was the bargeman. He has another life?”

“Not because he wants to. But we have forced him to have one. He can’t be here perpetually, working as if he is on a Japanese strike. It would make us look bad.”

“Oh, for the love of Rhiannon!” exclaimed Beau softly. “I fear we are in totally unknown whereabouts. And I trying to prepare our trip! How deluded I was!” And to the demon he said, “Who is boss here? Has the god Hades suffered a coup?”

“That fellow has to do whatever the citizens ask him to do. No more doing as he pleases. Greece invented democracy. Let this be evident!”

“This has got to be a joke,” Beau whispered to our uncle. “Maybe by the Jocose Gang, in revenge for the Kittykids’ party. Are you sure this was the right entrance?”

“Totally,” answered Uncle Richie. And he said to the fellow with the computer, “Listen, is music still forbidden here?”

“Of course it is. Only dirges. Shouts and laments are also permitted, as long as they don’t malign the regime. Chorales of hired mourners, well we even have contests. Our regime loves contests.”

“The regime is a devil-may-care republic?” asked Beau.

“Abstain from insults,” said the demon. “Why are you here?”

“I’ve come to see some old friends,” said Uncle Richearth. “I haven’t seen them since Offenbach composed Orpheus in the Underworld. Back then, I came to teach the nymphs to dance the Infernal Galop, that is, the can can. It was a dance I thought they should know how to do. A long time ago that was. It’s about time I dropped by to say hi, don’t you think?”

“We had better get to filling in some forms,” said the demon, “because I have no idea what you are talking about.”

“And why not? We’re all speaking in ancient Greek, aren’t we? And my ancient Greek is impeccable. We should be able to communicate.”

“Are you Asians or Europeans?”

“What could that possibly matter?” asked Uncle Richearth. “Who cares what a dead guy’s origin is? That is what comes here, isn’t it? Dead people. Of all sorts. Have you become racists now or what?”

“I suspect it might be because of the judges,” intervened Beau. “I’ve read there is this one bloke who judges the Asians and this other bloke who takes charge of the Europeans. Is it because of that? Or not?” Beau asked the demon.

“I’m writing here Europeans,” said the demon, “from this side of the Hellespont.” And he began to hit the keys of the keyboard. “So now, date and hour of death?”

“Painfully early this morning,” said Uncle Richie, “is when we decided to come here, isn’t that so, Beau?” and a little lower he added, “Don’t you say we aren’t dead because this fellow looks inflexible.”   

“Who came to fetch you? Didn’t anyone? Not even Hermes? You gave no notice?”

“Well, we were with the sirens. They told us to come here. Directly. We were supposed to give notice we were going to die? How can one do that? One isn't always aware one is about to croak, is one?”

The demon replied, “Remitted by the sirens. Death by drowning is what I am going to record here, though you don’t look too wet. Only the edges of your trousers are humid. It looks as if you have been eating, but you don’t seem to have been poisoned. Have you been drinking? Teachers shouldn’t. Give a good example.”

“Why would we be teachers?” asked our uncle. “I’m a gentleman farmer and a vocational singer.”

“Yeah, sure. You just said you came here to teach. Which makes sense, because the only people who come here nowadays are teachers, though usually of dead languages. An occasional archaelogist, and certain admirers of the old religions. No dancing here. Only writhing, leaping in pain and fainting.  I’ll write down music teachers. Can you sing a thernody?”

“First thing I learned to sing,” lied Uncle Richie. “You want me to teach people to sing funeral songs? Because I think…”

“The few people that come here today have all heard of Elysium and want to make it there. Yes, it is a shame, but that paradise still exists and only people who were too stupendous in life to be sent to the boring asphodel fields get there. Children of the gods and such. All with good connections. If you do get there, you can sing whatever you please, but that is up to the judges, not me. Alright, state your names and business here.”

“Like I already told you, I am a great friend of my friends and I want to see my friends now,”insisted Uncle Richie. “And my name is Demetrius, and I am a godson of the Queen’s mom. That makes us family. I should have no problems entering this place.”

"Hades is a friendly place. Nobody has problems entering Hades. Everybody is welcome!"

"Are you so amiable that you answer for the problems we may have once inside?" asked Beau.

And then, suddenly and out of nowhere, three dogs fell on Uncle Rich, who slipped backwards, flat onto the floor. And as he yelled “It’s okay! We know each other!” Beau turned into a terrific wolf again but stopped short of taking on the dogs because he saw they were but one, and that its three heads were licking Uncle Richie with unrepressed love, as were the forked tongues of the snakes that adorned those three heads. And his tail, which was one much larger serpent, was wagging very happily.

“It’s so nice of you to remember me, sweetie,” Uncle Richie was saying to the dog.

“But who the hell are you?” shouted the demon, who had risen from his seat in a flash at the sight of the wolf Beau had turned into and taken refuge under the desk.

“These are friends of the queen,” said Charon, appearing behind the dog and helping Uncle Rich get up.

“And yours,” said our uncle. “Tell this fellow to let us in, Charon. I’ll give you all the coins I have on me. That’s a lot. I don’t know why I didn’t start by saying that. Well, yes, I do know. I was cowed by this demon’s computer.”

And Uncle Richie began to sing very softly to Cerberus, "How much is that doggie in the window?" And Cerberus joined him, squirming with delight and howling softly too. 

“Just put a tick in the box  for  the category of heroes, Katafalkos,” said Charon to the demon, pointing at the computer. “This divo will give you more trouble if you don’t let him in than he will if you do. I know him well.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My blogs are Michael Toora's Blog (dedicated to my pupils and anyone who wants to learn English and some Spanish), The Rosy Tree Blog (dedicated to RosE), Tales of a Minced Forest (dedicated to fairies and parafairies), Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (same as the former but in Fay Spanish), The Birthdaymython/El Cumplemitón (for the enjoyment of my great nieces and great nephews and of anyone who has a birthday) and Booknosey/Fisgalibros (for and with my once pupils).