How To Find Your Way in Minced Forest

Write Preface in the search space below right to get to the Preface.To go to the table of contents, write table of contents in the search space below right. To read a chapter, write the number of the chapter in the search space. To read the tales in Fay Spanish, go to cuentosdelbosquetriturado.blogspot.com. Thank you.

Sunday 4 June 2023

246. Tree of Imps

246. Tree of Imps

I was not too happy about having to take Alpin with me when I went to Belvedere´s golf course to teach Feeseepkee how to play. But he was present when my grandfather AEternus asked me to do this and therefore it was impossible to keep this from my friend. What had me most worried was that the Peach Boys knew about Feeseepkee – at least they knew all I knew about my cousin – but I hadn’t warned them about Alpin. I hadn’t even mentioned Alpin would tag along because I hadn’t even remembered he knew I was to teach Feeseepkee and might want to. And so, when I went to fetch the young Murkee, there, standing beside him with his own bag of clubs and a checkered cap – all courtesy of Uncle Richearth, who had  bought the best for his boys, how could he resist - was the Unchangedling. Now I had with me a dubious charge, who might or might not be a problem, and a well-known problem charge as well.

I bawled Alpin out even before we set a foot  out of the Richearth Plantation, threatening him with dire revenge if he misbehaved at the Mnemosinite’s.

“Arley!” he exclaimed with surprise. “You’ve never threatened me with revenge before! You must be really freaked out about having to give these lessons!”

That helped me calm down, it did.


When we were standing before the moon gate of Belvedere´s golf course, I asked the purple door to open for us and it moved creakily to a side to allow us to pass inside. The fact that it creaked made me think it probably hadn’t opened in ages. The Peach Boys entered the golf course from the inside, from the Memorion’s house and garden. I told myself it would be nice of me to bring some oil for the gate the next day.  

“Cute place,” approved Alpin, nodding. “But isn’t the grass a shade more turquoise than green? It looks like water.”

“No criticizing!” I snapped testily. “When they give you a horse for free, you don’t check its teeth.” 

“Okay!” sighed Alpin.

Feeseepkee said nothing.

I began to teach them what my grandfather had taught me, trying to do this just like he had. Alpin said I was a lousy teacher three or four times.

Feeseepkee said nothing.

Either I was a lousy teacher or neither of them was much gifted. I tried not to be impatient. I tried to console myself by telling myself maybe I wasn’t a lousy teacher. Maybe I had been a gifted pupil and learning had been easier for me than for the average learner.

We played unmolested by anyone or anything save Alpin’s comments for a long while. Then Cami showed up to see how we were doing and asked us to come to the rest area  to have some refreshments. I started to warn her about Alpin, but she already knew. Uncle Gen had told her Aunt Nectarine that there was the possibility that a ravenous spirit might tag along with us.


Aunt Nekutarin – that is how you say Nectarine in Japanese, I think - was a quiet, very  little and very old lady with a big smile and a kind heart. She was Momo San’s  great aunt, and therefore as old as the hills, I suppose, and did not bother to hide it. She acted as housekeeper for the Peach Boys and for Cami. She was shorter than I am, and I am not tall for my age. She barely reached Feeseepkee’s shin. This woman was an indefatigable worker, and had laid out a veritable feast on a full size ping pong table for us to enjoy. There were many trays of shimmering fresh fruit among the many buns and rolls and pies there. I mention the fruit, because it will be essential to this chapter in a moment. Alpin devoured practically everything and Feeseepkee, saying nothing,  serenely swallowed slices of watermelon. He also ate two stawberries.  Later, I was to thank the heavens that there were no pomegranates among the different fruits on the table. After the feast, we played for another while. I thanked Aunt Nectarine before we left, and told her we would bring our own food from then on and she needn’t worry about us again, for we wished to give her no trouble, but she insisted it was her pleasure, and she would always prepare brunch for us. Alpin then thanked her too, looking very satisfied. “You’re a peach, Aunt Nectarine!” he assured her. The little old lady laughed as prettily as a shy schoolgirl. As for Feeseepkee, he said nothing.

The next day was the fourth of June, and the moon was to be full that night. Suddenly Feeseepkee said something. He excused himself. And he went by himself to the rest area, where we had been having brunch a while before that day too. When he returned, we soon left for home.    

And some days later the Peach Boys returned from Georgia, where they had been selling paper and buying peaches. They came to the green to play with us and all went well until Cami, whom I was teaching to play too, went for a stray ball. She bent to pick the ball up, saw something when rising, and stood frozen before a tree near the rest area. Her brothers stared at her in amazement and then saw what she had seen.

“Oni? Oni? Oni?” the Peach Boys cried in chorus.

And Cami shouted back, “Hai! Hai! Hai!”

All five boys rushed like crazy to the brunch table that Aunt Nekutarin was laying out for us. They began to throw all the fruit on the table into a huge garbage can, all the while yelling and screaming.  Aunt Nekutarin put a hand to her mouth in surprise and made a horrified face. She rushed to the Memorion’s house, vanished into it and reappeared  with seven wands under her arms. She rapidly gave them out to the boys  and they all turned on Feeseepkee, who was at the other end of the golf course, unaware of the commotion. When he saw they were flying at him, he tried to flee, but their wands were flinging rays at him and these got to him before he could. Camellia appeared with a bird cage and shrank Feeseepkee so he could fit in it. Ichiro took hold of my paralyzed cousin and stuck him in the cage.


“Wow!” exclaimed Alpin. “What is this about?”

I was speechless. 

It was Aunt Nekutarin who explained what was happening.

“Oniki!” she said. “Demon tree. Your cousin is an oniki planter. He cannot be above ground. We must bury him cage and all immediately.”

“Nnnoooo!” I stammered, on the verge of a heart attack. “What will I tell his mother?”

“Look at that tree. Was it there yesterday?” Saburo asked me.

He pointed at the tree before which Camellia had paused in terror.

“Look closely, but don’t go too near,” said Aunt Nekutarin, encouraging me to go forward with a hand on my shoulder.

I went up to the tree.  There were little faces on its  trunk and branches. They began to murmur as if trying to chant a spell on me.

“First they look like goose pimples. Then, they become little bumps on the tree. Then they grow into faces. Next full moon, they will have developed small but full bodies and will leap out of the trees. They are very bad imps and cause all sorts of trouble,” said Aunt Nekutarin, drawing me away.

“What does Feeseepkee have to do with them?”

“He is their father.”

 Jiro explained to me that Feeseepkee had two stomachs. One was like anyone else´s. The other was a sort of pouch. There he deposited all the seeds of the fruit he ate. Then, shortly before a full moon, he expelled all the seeds he had been gathering in his second stomach by spitting them on the ground. Under the light of the full moon, these seeds grew together into a tree full of little devils. By the next full moon they would be ready to burst out of the tree. The tree would die, but they would be free to cause trouble.

“When the seed planter is underground, he only eats roots, and causes no harm," added Jiro. "But when he is above ground, he eats fruit. And this terrible tree grows. Many small seeds, many small devils. One big seed, one monster devil. We have put this father of imps into a cage made of peach wood. Peach wood is magical and protects against evil spirits. He will not be able to break out of that. We won’t feed him fruit, but there could be an accident. Or some misguided soul might release him. He is best buried very deeply, hundreds of feet below ground.”

“How am I going to explain this to Branna?” I asked aghast.

“Branna loves this kid,” said Alpin. “My sister will never allow you to bury him alive. I don’t think she will even let you keep him in a cage.”

“Either that or you take him to hell and return him to his people," said Goro. "You have to go there anyway. You must take the tree to hell. There is nothing else that can be done about the tree. If we try to cut it down, it will reproduce itself in as many pieces as it was cut. And you have to take it there before the next full moon.  Remember, this creature in the cage  is not a fairy child. He is the sire of demons.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My blogs are Michael Toora's Blog (dedicated to my pupils and anyone who wants to learn English and some Spanish), The Rosy Tree Blog (dedicated to RosE), Tales of a Minced Forest (dedicated to fairies and parafairies), Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (same as the former but in Fay Spanish), The Birthdaymython/El Cumplemitón (for the enjoyment of my great nieces and great nephews and of anyone who has a birthday) and Booknosey/Fisgalibros (for and with my once pupils).