How To Find Your Way in Minced Forest

Write Preface in the search space below right to get to the Preface.To go to the table of contents, write table of contents in the search space below right. To read a chapter, write the number of the chapter in the search space. To read the tales in Fay Spanish, go to cuentosdelbosquetriturado.blogspot.com. Thank you.

Wednesday 2 August 2023

257. Two Museums and a Host



257. Two Museums and a Host

“Arley,” Alpin said to me, “my mum, to whom I do not tell all my secrets, but this one yes, because she found out through others, says I have to thank you for resurrecting me from my ashes like a Phoenix. I am not too happy to have to do this, because I think you should have been looking after me and not jabbering away with your fretful brother, who is a crohnic complainer even if he still hasn’t raised a row over the shameful joke the Jocose Gang played on him, foisting half a dozen kids on him. I am sure as sure that sooner or later he will lament this, just as he bitterly lamented and complained to you about his wife’s life style. I am calling Cathsheba his wife, because he will get down to marrying her, won’t he?”

“To be honest, it is Cathsheba you should thank, not me. The more I think of it, the more convinced I am that she allowed me to trap the rag so I would feel I had done something brave that day. I am sure she could have handled the situation herself and grabbed the rag even before the witch could try to recover it. Shebie is very quick.”

“She has survived in the forest for centuries, hasn’t she? And fairies, the older they get, the stronger they grow. Or so it is said.”

“Yes. She, if anyone, will know how to care for those kittens. And for my brother. Who would have guessed?”

“Have you already decided what to do with the ashes of the witch and the lethal rag? You said you didn’t want to keep them in your rooms and your brother doesn’t want them in his castle now that he has curious babies snooping all over it.”

“Grandpa told me my aunt Caléndula wants to create a museum here in Apple Island. We don’t have a single museum here because people keep their treasures in their homes, where they are perfectly safe. And if they have a lot of treasures and are proud of them, they open their houses once or twice a week to the public to show the treasures off. Or they do this on especial occasions.”

“Yes, and they even invite visitors to tea. And you are going to stick your rag and box of ashes in this museum? Will it be a museum of horrors?”

“In Apple Island? No, I don’t think we will have a museum of that kind here. That´s why I think Caléndula won’t want the rag or the ashes. I will probably end up giving these things to Uncle Gentlerain, because the siblinghood of preventers is sure to have storerooms full of monstruosities somewhere. But since Aunt Calula wants to inagurate the museum as soon as possible, I think we should go help her organize the place.”

“Organize the treasures? Won’t you want to acquire one? Tell Calula to open an auction house. She will do better.”

“No, I don’t think she would like that. And the museum accepts donations, so if you have anything she might like, think about this.”

Alpin and I left my parents´ palace and went to St. Job’s Library, for that was where I had been told Caléndula’s museum would be located. Sir Job Hobb, always so kind, had ceded Mum’s cousin three rooms where she could exhibit the treasures she had gathered. When we got to the library, we greeted Mildew, the lovable librarían, who told us that my sisters Heather and Thistle had also come to help and had mentioned they wanted to see me about something that worried them.

“Look here, Arley. Aunt Caléndula has had to leave and there isn’t much to do here today. We’ll return another day to help her. But there is something that we feel you need to know. It has to do with the Rag Hag,” said Thistle.

“Oh, no! You’re going to tell me a horror story!”

“Right now it will only be a tale of mystery,” said Heather. “So don’t let your imagination run riot. We were seeing how we could give Aunt Caléndula´s museum publicity and we entered a page of magical museums. Of course, all museums are magical places, but you know what I mean. Museums only fairies have heard of.”

“Get to the point!” interrupted Thistle. “In the list we consulted, we read about a museum called The Horrific Haunted Mill of the Hag of the Rag.”

“We went into shock when we saw that,” said Heather.

“Get to the point,” Thistle hushed her. “It’s located in Minced Forest. I could swear this is the exact same mill where you had your adventure. Daddy says that yes, this is the same place.”

“The post announcing this museum is very recent,” said Heather. “It says there will be a grand inauguration this evening, after sunset.”

“Ugh! How scary!” said Alpin. “Surely the witch’s friends want to render homage to her.”

“A witch like this one cannot have friends. Maybe accomplices,” sentenced Thistle.

“You can’t allow anyone to glorify this witch, Arley,” Alpin said to me. “Scoundrels who should be locked up in jail cannot have monuments, cities, squares, streets, subway stations, airports or museums that bear their names.”

“I suppose the fans of the Rag Hag would disagree,” I said.

“We’re going to that inauguration and we will break it up if necessary,” said Thistle, most determinedly.

 “Disrupter! I don’t know if I will,” said Alpin.

“You will,” said Thistle. “You will assist and you will pay a fay pound for the entrance ticket,” Thistle assured him.

“Pay to be be ground into powder? Burnt to ashes? Not me. I already got that service for free.”

“That won’t happen,” said Heather. “That’s why we will be going with you. To impede this.”

“If I  assist, it will be incognito,” I said.

“That won’t do you any good,” said Alpin, “because if things get rough for me, I mean to betray you, Arley. I will not hesitate to shout that you are the bloke who socked the hag with her rag. I’ll abandon you to your fate at the hands of the avenging beasts,  Arley. Traitors don’t give notice, but I am warning you.”

“Then you had better not come with us,” I said.

“Of course I will. I am as curious as the proverbial cat to know what this museum is about. Always supposing you guys will pay for my entrance ticket. I’m not wasting a fay pound on a museum. It’s what the fay cinema costs.”

Finally, it was Dad who paid for all our tickets. He and Puck wanted to come along too, given the gravity of the situation. And as we marched off towards the mill, we met more people who joined our group.

“Can we join you?” asked the Leafies we met on our way. With them was Gingerlad too.

“The more the merrier, so you are all invited,” said Dad.

 Moth and Cobweb showed up too as we marched along.

“Where are you going so determinedly?” they asked.

I answered, explaining everything to them.

“I would love to see all that dust waiting there to be cleaned,” said Cobweb. “I’m a professional cleaner, you know.”

“Both of you can come. I’m inviting you,” said Dad.

It was like that all the way there. And soon we were quite a host.

And since I am telling you this story, it is evident we survived our excursion. But the jaunt had its interest. And its consequences too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My blogs are Michael Toora's Blog (dedicated to my pupils and anyone who wants to learn English and some Spanish), The Rosy Tree Blog (dedicated to RosE), Tales of a Minced Forest (dedicated to fairies and parafairies), Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (same as the former but in Fay Spanish), The Birthdaymython/El Cumplemitón (for the enjoyment of my great nieces and great nephews and of anyone who has a birthday) and Booknosey/Fisgalibros (for and with my once pupils).