How To Find Your Way in Minced Forest

Write Preface in the search space below right to get to the Preface.To go to the table of contents, write table of contents in the search space below right. To read a chapter, write the number of the chapter in the search space. To read the tales in Fay Spanish, go to cuentosdelbosquetriturado.blogspot.com. Thank you.

Monday 13 November 2023

270. Wedding Witnesses

270. Wedding Witnesses

Nobody wanted to be witness at Alpin’s wedding. And without witnesses there is no wedding. Just a pact between a couple. That is what weddings are like in the fay world. Nobody marries the couple. They reach an agreement and promise each other to stick to it. And if there is no one present aside from them when they reach this agreement, that is that, and all there is. But if there are people witnessing the exchange of vows, then there is a visible wedding.

Alpin was in a vile mood. He would have loved to have a grandiose wedding that would have made Richie and Branna’s look like a weekend brunch. But his mother had made his father promise that he would not give Alpin a cent so he could celebrate. And Fiona had kicked him out of her spa when he tried to get Santichu to promise to prepare a banquet at her own cost. Alpin was no longer allowed entrance there, and she had actually turned her dogs loose on him so he would have to leave. Darcy had vanished, leaving no sign of where he was. He did leave a substitute, a stableboy called Baylad, in my Mom’s stables. Baylad said Darcy hadn’t said where he was going, only to tell folks who asked, not to ask. As for Rich and Branna, it was November, and they were travelling somewhere in the worlds to celebrate their anniversary. And Alpin didn’t want to wait for them to return.

He had reasons not to want to wait to marry. He feared Betabel would change her mind or that someone would bust their wedding plans. His mother had asked him to bring his girl to dinner, but this was no concession. Aislene tried to disguise her dislike as she showed Betabel a gold ring with not one but three forty carat diamonds and told her it would be hers if she didn’t marry at once but instead allowed Aislene time to plan a grandiose, beautiful, unforgettable wedding.

“I have never been able to organize a wedding for anybody, not even for one of my children,” she said to Betabel in a sad voice. “Fiona didn’t want a wedding.She didn't want to attract attention because she was the subject of cruel gossip then. Branna’s was hasty and pre-arranged for someone else. I wasn’t even able to be present. Darcy cannot be persuaded to marry. No one can hook him. My only chance lies with you and Alpin. If you just wait a little, I will give you the best wedding ever heard of, and this ring will be your reward. Look how it shimmers! Try it on, you’ll see how lovely it will look on your finger.”

What Aislene was seeking when she offered Betabel this ring was to gain time so that Alpin would get bored with Betabel and desist in his idea of marrying her. But Betabel wasn’t interest in luxury, and she didn’t fall into Aislene’s trap. Then Mrs. Dullahan removed her mask and went to Malrose’s Ait and made the earth shake there, and upset Sweet Cicely so badly that the poor girl was ill for weeks. And Malrose got fed up and invited poor Betabel to leave the island, saying she had already caused more trouble than she was worth and that anyone normal could bear.

Betabel’s parents were, if possible, even less pleased with this wedding to be than Aislene was. Her brothers and sisters refused to  even speak with her, and Alpin and Betabel saw they were not going to find support among her kin either. Then Betabel remembered a great aunt and a great uncle of hers who lived isolated in the hills somewhere up north. These two never had the least notion what was going on anywhere but up there and everyone had practically forgotten them and they seemed to have even forgotten themselves. These would be the witnesses of her wedding. They and I. Mrs. Dullahan had already threatened to be very, very disappointed in me if I allowed Alpin to wed Betabel, but I couldn’t see how I could avoid this and please her. I had to watch over Alpin, specially now that his family was spurning him, and it looked that whether I wanted to or not, I would end up watching him marry Betabel.

Betabel didn’t want to spend more time at her parents’ home, and they didn’t seem to want her there either, but she had nowhere to go, so she asked me to look in my crystal ball and find her relatives in the hills. When I did, I realized that I was seeing something Alpin would not like at all. I was about to tell him so, but he didn’t let me speak.

“Get them to name a day and we´ll go see them!”

“Listen, Alpin, these people-”

“Shut up and do as I say, Arley! Lately I’ve been contradicted enough for a lifetime!” he yelled at me.

And I thought that maybe, if he saw these people, he would break up with Betabel. Alpin hates people who scrimp and save on food, and these people made Generoso and Dadivosa's grass soup look like a  Roman emperor´s cuisine. Betabel would feel hurt at first if Alpin dropped her, but she would see this was for the best in good time, just like Aunt Nekutarin kept telling me.

Well, we were now three possible witnesses, if there was to be a wedding. There was a fourth possible witness too, though only I had him in account. This was Angelmouse Belfry Grigio, the son of Batty Belfry, Aislene’s friend. And what does  such a fellow have to do with all this? That you may ask me.

I acquired this friend at Michael O’Toora’s Halloween party, where the scandal of the evening was about Aislene’s behaviour. Madly obsessed, she went from one group of people to another in search of someone who could and would stop her son’s wedding, and when everyone fled from her because they didn’t care a fig what Alpin or Betabel did, she began to act up spectacularly. I won’t go into details, but it was a good thing Alpin had left the fourth fairy circle in a rage to go find Betabel, or the spectacle would have been even more grotesque. And a lot of people were really unsettled by all this.

Well, poor Angelmouse was two years old and he had had to leave the belfry he lived in because after over a hundred years of being unused, the owners of the church this belfry was part of had decided to repair the huge, cracked bell that hung there and use it even to tell the time. Angelmouse was about to turn deaf and would have if he hadn’t decided to move. Now, most bat fairies don’t easily turn deaf, unless they have been cursed or something, but Angelmouse was not normal. His problem was similar to mine with pollen. Not normal, but existent. He had left his daddy’s home to  live there, because his daddy was an Italian gigolo who didn’t like to be seen with a kid, and so Angelmouse decided to try to live with his mum, but he didn’t fit in with her lifestyle either and it had ocurred to her that if Alpin was marrying, I would lose my sidekick and that Angelmouse could be a good substitute for Alpin. To this end she cornered me at Michael’s party, and tried to talk me into taking Angelmouse under my wing, while the poor creature smiled at me shyly from a distance, waiting to see if he would be given permission to approach me or not.

The last thing I needed was a pathetic brat on my hands. And I couldn’t foist him on my parents, because I had burdened them with Melisa only too recently. Now that place was choke full of people, and I could have raised my voice and yelled there was a distraught homeless kid present, and would anyone there care to take him in. But this plan offered no guaranties, for there was no knowing who might offer to have him, and then, poor Angelmouse might feel ashamed to be the subject of such a show. So I agreed to try to find him lodgings somewhere and said he could follow me about until I did. And he said, “Mi piace,” and did just that.        

So now it is as if I have three and not just two shadows. I must admit he hasn’t been much trouble. When we got home it was almost dawn, and I pointed at the second bed in my bedroom and told him he could sleep there till we got up at noon. But he removed his tiny shoes and produced even tinier feet with teensy claws on their toes and flew to the lamp in the ceiling and clung there upside down and dropped off. I don’t mean that he literally crashed to the ground as if he had been electrocuted, I mean he fell fast asleep. But I was uneasy and I woke him and told him he had to use the bed and he clung to the canopy, again upsidedown, and again fell sound asleep.

Now my parents’ palace has no towers. But it has one very last top top floor that is only used to store stuff in. And the next day I took Angelmouse there and starting from next to a large window enclosed a space and turned that into a rather well-funished apartment for him and asked him if he liked it. “Mi piace,” he nodded, so I said it was his and he could come down and have dinner with my brothers and me on Friday nights, at Thymian’s basement. But he didn’t wait till Friday. He kept following me around. Fortunately, when I introduced him to my parents, they said they liked him much better than Alpin and from then on he had all his wee meals with us. He had no trouble with the rest of the people who lived there either, because I was quick to introduce him to everyone so nobody would chase him away with a broom. Not that we chase bats away with brooms in Apple Island, but just in case someone might.


What does Angelmouse look like besides pitiful? Well, like a very wee kid who can turn himself into a bat when he chooses to. And most of the time he stays half transformed, keeping his huge bat ears and the little claws on his hands and feet.

And in the next chapter I will probably return to the subject of Alpin’s wedding.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My blogs are Michael Toora's Blog (dedicated to my pupils and anyone who wants to learn English and some Spanish), The Rosy Tree Blog (dedicated to RosE), Tales of a Minced Forest (dedicated to fairies and parafairies), Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (same as the former but in Fay Spanish), The Birthdaymython/El Cumplemitón (for the enjoyment of my great nieces and great nephews and of anyone who has a birthday) and Booknosey/Fisgalibros (for and with my once pupils).